"A Technology driven methodology leading to Transparency, improved productivity, and an exciting business opportunity"
The Electronic Governance (or e-governance) has become an accepted methodology involving the use of IT to providing information speedily to all citizens, Improving Public services, Improving administrative efficiency Quite obviously, therefore, the objective of achieving Electronic Governance (EG) goes far beyond mere Computerisation of stand alone back office operations. It means too fundamentally change as to how the Government operates and this implies a new set of responsibilities for the executive, legislature and the citizenry.
E-Governance In Haryana Secretariat
With the fast pace of technological change it is becoming important for government to review existing structure of secretariat, hierarchies, policies and procedures. The entire paradigm of the secretariat and in the ‘Information Age’ will necessarily be different from what it is at present. Consequently, a large scale retooling and restructuring in the secretariat will be called for. Secretariat and governance will inevitably be very different from what is today. Digital government will entail flatter organizational hierarchies and more personalized delivery of citizens’ services.
The ‘Electronic Governance’ in the Secretariat aims at IT driven system of Governance that works better, costs less and is capable of servicing the decision making machinery and citizens’ needs as never before. An urgent need was felt to have a central mechanism [ like Secretariat for Information Technology (SIT) ], so that electronic feedback system is operationalised. The use of IT by government would be made imperative to the extent possible in a phased but time bound manner. For this, the central mechanism would endeavor:
- to use Information Technology in the process of governance and improve its response to its citizens
- to have connectivity between all its offices so that communication can flow through E-mail to enhance productivity.
- to computerize the process of governance, so that the citizens could file the documents required by the Government, electronically
- to put in place a training program to enable government employees to use Information Technology to enhance productivity.
E-Governance Objectives for Secretariat
- Identifying functional areas in secretariat branches, which need to be taken up for EG objectives.
- Identifying the appropriate hardware platforms and software application packages for cost effective functioning of secretariat branches.
- Making this knowledge repository widely available through appropriate Demo- Mechanisms.
- Offering a Basket of these models to other branches and departments/organizations, which could be suitably customized as per location and work specific requirements. Towards this end we envisage to have specific models.
- This offer is to be supplemented by incubating and initiating efforts in this direction by various organs of the Govt.
- Amendment in State laws through study and consultation.
Management of Change related Issues
- E-Governance in the secretariat would lead to mandatory organizational and institutional changes effecting both people and methods at all interfaces of the decision making Chain.
- For this, acceptance of this Changed Processes would have to be properly understood, accepted, internalized, adopted and improved to enable full advantages of the technology being adopted in the first part of Smart Governance in Haryana Civil Secretariat.
- De-layering of the decision making levels leading to re-engineering and appropriate delegation in the decision making process.
- Training and acclimatization of the personnel at all levels more so at the lower rung of secretariat.
Towards this end, while EG initiative in the Haryana Civil Secretariat aims at, tapping existing resources and expertise of NIC Haryana State Unit and to develop courseware and Methodologies to suitably catalyze the factors leading to easier adoption and adaptation of change. It would develop methodologies to ease this process of change so that the adoption is more system friendly. This is expected to enable experience sharing and learning on a common platform and which is a fundamental requirement for enabling implementation of Smart Governance objective in the secretariat.
Constitution of Committees
Under the IT Policy, four committees have been set up for giving impetus to<br>
- State Level Steering Committee, IT-PRISM (Planning, Re-engineering, Implementation, Steering, Monitoring) headed by CS
- State Technical Committee headed by IT Secretary
- Facilitation Committee headed by PSCM
- High Powered Committee, headed by Hon’ble CM to consider special package of incentives/concessions for prestigious projects with an investment of Rs. 30 Crores & above.
Functions of IT PRISM
- To set the priorities of sectors to be taken-up for computerization,
- To review the progress of implementation of IT Action Plan of various Government Departments, Boards & Corporations,
- To approve budget and sanction posts & expenditure for IT Department,
- To devise the ways and means for the promotion of IT Education in Haryana.
Functions of Technical Committee
- Standardization of Hardware, Software & databases,
- Evaluation of Technologies for IT, including LAN/WAN,
- Establishing framework contracts,
- Fixing up norms for hardware & software purchase,
- Approve the course curricula for all types of computer courses,
- Assist the Steering Committee i.e. IT-PRISM.
Society for IT Initiative Fund for e-Governance
- An IT Initiative Fund of Rs. 10 crore established for e-Governance
- Governing Body of the Society headed by PSCM
- Executive Committee of the Society headed by IT Secretary
Primary Objectives of the Society
- Upgrading the standard & quality of administration through modernization and rationalization
- Providing public centered efficient & cost effective governance
- Extensive percolation of IT literacy & education in the State
- Promoting investment in IT Industry
- Increasing share of IT in State Gross Domestic Product
- Generating related employment opportunities
- Enhancing earning capacity of the citizens, thereby ensuring a better quality of life
Encouraging private sector initiative in IT related infrastructure and services
Establishment of Secretariat for Information Technology [SIT]
The Secretariat for Information Technology has been established. The organization Structure of Secretariat for IT includes Secretariat Branch of IT Department, Directorate of IT Haryana and Centre for E-Governance. The E-Governance Centre has been established in the Secretariat for Information Technology [SIT] at 9th Floor Haryana Civil Secretariat. The Centre has following facilities:
- Servers Room & LAN at SIT
- Application/Data Centre
- Web Studio-cum-GIS Lab
- Two numbers of IT Training Labs/Learning Centre
- Executive Briefing Centre / Lecture-cum-Conference Hall
- Technology Showcase, Multimedia, presentations, Documents processing and regeneration Lab
- Digital Library
- Video Conferencing room: With two VC Cabins
The Existing NIC Centre has o been integrated with the Secretariat for Information Technology SIT to function as following:
- Network Control and Management Centre for Information Technology Secretariat
- Network Control and Management Centre for Haryana Civil Secretariat
- Application development and Management Centre
- Data Management Centre
Providing Computers to Officers
The administrative secretaries have been provided with one P-III machine in their office room and One P-III machine and a printer to their Personal staff. Dy. Secretary and Jt. Secretary level officers have been given one P-III machine and a printer, which will be shared by their P.As also. The Ministers have been provided one P-III machine and their staff have been provided with one P-III machines alongwith one printer.
One P-III machine will be provided to Supdt./U.S. of the branch for file movement, e-mail etc. It was further proposed that the machines of Pentium/ Pentium Pro configuration available in different departments shall be warehoused and shall be provided to branches for word processing activities etc. The branches of FD have already been provided with P-III machines.
The content creation and requisite application software packages to be operated on these machines have been identified and the application development work has been taken up simultaneously.
The branches of FD has been taken up to be fully computerized on pilot basis to demonstrate various components of e-governance model for a typical secretariat branch. Necessary plan for furniture, Equipment, filing system etc. has been prepared. These shall be developed into model branches and this model shall be replicated in other branches. The hardware for FD branches have been procured and under installation.
Informative News Letter : ‘Info-line’/‘IT-Vision’
Secretariat for IT has started an IT newsletter with a view to disseminate information. It covers technological developments taking place in IT, projects being taken up in different departments of Haryana, important web sites index, and other relevant information etc.
IT Plans of Departments
The standard guidelines for re-engineering and IT Plan preparation has been prepared and approved by IT-PRISM. A panel of agencies to out-source IT plan preparation has been prepared and circulated to all departments. The IT plans of about 30 departments/agencies have been prepared with the help of NIC, Hartron and empanelled agencies. Most of these has been approved by IT-PRISM. The execution of IT plans also started in some of these departments.
A local Area Network is established in Haryana Civil & New Secretariat. It has been decided to provide LAN cabling in each room in both the secretariats. Cabling plan for Haryana New Secretariat and Haryana Civil Secretariat has been prepared to cover each room. The estimates have been prepared and the cabling work has been assigned to Hartron to execute on priority.
There are four servers in e-governance centre in addition to existing 07 servers of NIC. There are above 300 client computers working in the Civil Secretariat. Most of these connected to the servers and Internet, e-mail gateways over the LAN. Similar type of network is functioning in Haryana New Secretariat Building and both the buildings are linked through a wireless Radio Frequency link. There will be more than 1000 nodes functioning on this Intranet in near future. NIC is responsible for the Coordination & management of this Intranet and related activities. Entry level support manpower is being deployed to perform functions like Operation of Computers and other Computer Infrastructure (Computers, UPS, Projectors, Air-conditioners, Electrical fixtures etc.) and trouble shooting of problems related to above, Technical Support to users (Both in terms of Hardware and Software operations), Hardware & Technical activities Coordination.
Applications Software Development
As highlighted in the IT Policy-2000, Proof-of-concept applications (replicable and reusable software models) are to be developed at E-Governance Centre, MIS applications for hon’ble CM, Administrative Secretaries and DCs will be developed. A Central Data Repository (CDR) will be maintained, the input to, which shall be provided from departmental Data Warehouses/Data Marts. The Digital Information System [DIS] will be implemented by digitizing the identified information so as to weed out the historical records. The NIC have been working on Application software design, development and implementation for various branches of Haryana Civil Secretariat, Hon’ble Chief Minister’s Office and Finance Department. The flagship applications are enclosed.
In addition, Workflow applications like Centralized File Tracking & Movement Information System have been developed and tested successfully over LAN in Haryana Civil Secretariats. The Application/Data Centre has been established in the E-Governance Centre to achieve the total e-governance in the Secretariat in a scheduled time. This centre will also focus on providing a Central Data Repository and shall cater to the Data Warehousing and Data Mining requirements of the State. To implement such a large programmes successfully, the NIC application development team is being strengthened by providing support-coding manpower from E-governance fund by the Secretariat for Information Technology.
Web Site Services
The Web Site Policy of the Haryana government was prepared, approved by IT-PRISM, printed and released to all HODs, Boards, Corporations and DCs.
The official portal of Haryana Government "http://‘haryana.nic.in" is being updated on daily basis. This is a window to all web sites of Haryana State. The site provides general information on Haryana and link to all related web sites. Also provide information on various policies of Haryana government, press releases, tender notices, Jobs availability, Admission Notices, Various results, State Budget, Service rules, special achievements of government, and special functions.
Web sites of 16 districts of Haryana, and around 15 departments, boards & corporations have been developed and hosted on the NIC’s official web server.
An independent e-mail server with DNS "http://hry.nic.in" has been established to provide e-mail services in Haryana Civil Secretariat. E-mail accounts have been created for all IAS, IPS, IFS, HCS officers, MLAs, Departments, Boards and Corporations, DCs, SPs, DIOs and other officers. These accounts have been compiled in the form of an e-mail directory. A full-fledged user manual on E-mail prepared and integrated in the E-mail directory. The Government has declared the E-mail addresses on this server as official e-mail accounts. This server is being maintained on 24 hour basis. Hon’ble Chief Minister released the e-mail directory in the conference of Administrative Secretaries, all DCs, and SPs.
The Geographical Information System of Haryana (GISH) is an on-line web enabled application released by Chief Secretary Haryana on Internet on September 17, 2001. The users can make on-line queries on administrative framework of Haryana (state boundaries, district boundaries, block boundaries, village boundaries), infrastructure (road network, rail network), rivers. dynamic roadmap of Haryana that show road distances between two cities just on a single click. A database on tourism that can be queried for various tourist facilities and a click on that particular tourist site will display details of distances, accommodation, facilities, expenditure etc. Analysis based on what lies where. User can query a particular district for village wise socio-economic aspects like literacy, population, workers, voters’ etc.
The map of Haryana with block and district boundaries, district and block names has been digitized. The population data integrated on the State map.
The maps of all districts of Haryana with village and block boundaries have been digitized. The village infrastructure data of Hisar district has been successfully integrated on the map of Hisar district. These base maps will be utilized for providing GIS based services. The GIS will be used in integrating, analyzing and visualizing different types of data for spatial planning, environmental protection, utility management, traffic regulation etc. The spatial database for Haryana State has been developed by NIC-HSU with the help of GIS division at NIC-HQ.
IT Awareness Training
The IT awareness training of Secretariat staff was started in the month of June 2000 at the NIC IT Centres in Haryana Civil and New Secretariats utilizing the existing infrastructure. The curriculum was prepared, approved by Secretariat for Information Technology [SIT] and around 2500 copies of the training material were printed. The curriculum for the IT awareness training of Ministers/MLAs was also worked out and three training books in Hindi were prepared and printed.
To Organize Training Programme successfully, Two IT Training Labs (each of 20 training machines) and one lecture / conference hall with a capacity of 50 persons, at a time, has been established at the E-Governance Centre. The support manpower for lectures and hands-on has been provided to strengthen the efforts of NIC from the e-governance fund.
Under 100% IT Literacy Programme (ITLP) in Secretariat, SIT/NIC has trained around 3000 officials since June 2000. Special two-month training for MLAs was conducted. Hon’ble Chief Minister Haryana inaugurated the MLAs training Programme. The training also included around 200 officials of CID. The IT awareness training is also being provided to district officials. Four training Labs are planned to be established at Divisional HQs shortly for the benefit of field staff.
Executive Briefing Centre / Lecture-cum-Conference Hall
This centre has been established to brief the Executives of the State Government as well as visitor from other States on trends, directions, technological plans and technology updates with there relevance in the real life situation. In addition, the centre will assist executives to frame, review and discuss strategies and plans in regard to e-governance in their sphere of operations in order to achieve competitive advantage.
This centre has been equipped with state of the art multimedia presentation technologies like high quality Large Screen Projection System, Digital Video Disk player, Public Announcement System, Multimedia computer systems etc.
Technology Showcase/ Multimedia presentations Lab
This centre has been established to focus on the cutting edge technologies in the field of e-governance by show casing and demonstrating them running on their respective development platforms. This technology showcase shall cover the showcasing of solutions developed by organizations like NIC, Microsoft, IBM and other state governments to give a feel about the benefits and operational requirements of the software solutions.
The centre will have facilities to develop multimedia presentations and requisite equipment to demonstrate the presentations and showcase products.
This centre has latest books, journals, and periodicals on hot topics of IT. A bank of compact Disks on System Software, Training, encyclopedias, replicable &amp; reusable application software module, proof-of-concept applications etc being established in this centre. The continuos down loading facility, on latest knowledge base and trends, from Internet is also being established for the benefit of users.
This centre will also be equipped with Desk Top Publishing tools to facilitate the government in generating quality magazines, brochures and other print materials.
The centre will also have equipment for Documents Processing and regeneration such as scanners, color printers.
Video Conferencing Studio
The Video Conferencing Studio has been established to facilitate Video Conferencing with DCs, Other State Governments, Central Ministries/Departments and other Countries. A facility for multi point VC has been established in the committee room of Chief Secretary. The VC facility has also been established at Kurukshetra, Gurgaon, Hisar, Haryana Bhawan and Rohtak. The ISDN based, VC facility in the State was inaugurated by Chief Minister on 27th April, 2001.
The VC facility helps in organizing meetings with distant functionaries from the Secretariat itself. This will help in reducing cost on travel and time and will also help in reviewing the implementation of various schemes with field functionaries.